The Capital Agartala (new) was founded in 1838 AD by Maharaja Krishna Kishore Manikya (1830-49 AD). The Agartala Municipality was instituted in 1871 AD during the reign of Maharaja Chandra Manikya (1862-96 AD). The 1st British Political Agent, Mr. A.W.B. Power appointed for hill Tipprah in 1871 AD, was offered the honour of being the Chairman of the Agartala Municipality. The Municipal Administration in Agartala was established in 1874 A.D and the city became a planned city by the then Maharaja Bir Bikra Manikya Bahadur in 1940s.This erstwhile Princely State Capital of Tripura merged with India on 15th October 1949.
The city of Agartala has an altitude of 12.8 metres. The erstwhile AMC area, the central portion of the city is located in an area lower than the surroundings. The central portion of the city is shaped like a saucer. The central portion is bounded by the rivers Howrah....